HIGHLIGHTS on the Bondi to manly walk
Bondi is Australia’s most famous surf beach and is home to the world’s first lifesaving club. More than a million travellers visit Bondi every year for the quintessential Aussie experience of sun, surf and sand.
CAMP COVE & SOUTH HEAD
Camp Cove is a popular harbour beach where Capt. Arthur Phillips first landed in Port Jackson in 1788. South Head offers magnificent harbour views, old harbour fortifications and lighthouse keeper’s cottages and the colourful Hornby Lighthouse.
HISTORIC HOUSES ON THE SOUTHERN HARBOUR SHORE
Vaucluse House is a nineteenth century mansion with its substantial original gardens still intact. Elizabeth Bay House, built in the 1830’s, was considered the finest house in the Colony of NSW.
MRS MACQUARIE’S CHAIR
Mrs Macquarie’s Chair is a bench carved into sandstone by convicts in 1810. According to legend Mrs Macquarie, the Governor’s wife, would sit there waiting for ships to arrive from England.
SYDNEY OPERA HOUSE
The Sydney Opera House, with its white shell-shaped sail roof, is one of the world’s most famous buildings.
SYDNEY HARBOUR BRIDGE
Since opening in 1932 the Harbour Bridge has shaped the City of Sydney. Its steel arch span and two pairs of granite pylons have become a symbol of Sydney and Australia.
MAY GIBBS’ NUTCOTE
Nutcote was the home of children’s book illustrator and author, May Gibbs. Now a museum, it celebrates the life and work of the creator of the gumnut babies - Snugglepot and Cuddlepie.
CURLEW CAMP ON LITTLE SIRIUS COVE
For nearly twenty years Curlew Camp was a place where artists lived and worked on the Harbour shore, and it is where two of Australia’s most famous artists, Arthur Streeton and Tom Roberts, painted some of their best known works.
SIGNIFICANT SITES IN ABORIGINAL CULTURE
The track goes through an aboriginal midden between Fisher Bay and Sandy Bay. At Grotto Point there is a large number of aboriginal engravings. Reef Beach is the home of an ancestral reburial site and rock art.
Manly, so named by Capt. Arthur Phillip in 1788 because of the manly nature of its indigenous people, is famous for its ocean beach and the ferry service from Circular Quay which started in 1852.